Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Motivational Moments

During my time as a fitness coach I've had the opportunity to come across some great videos posted online. Although, some of my readers may have seen me post these in blogs elsewhere or on my Facebook page, I thought it might be worth what little free time I seem to have lately to collect them in one place, as these videos are ones that I can watch dozens of times and not tire of.

As I posted each one of these I reviewed them one more time and my mind was making some associations with movies and books that I've experienced in the past which I'll quote right before the video that sparked said memory. Let's see who can figure out where the quotes are from. Post your answers to comments. If you win, you get the full satisfaction that you grew up largely a science fiction geek like myself. I'm making this WAY too easy...


First in the lineup is one from a teacher/poet by the name of Taylor Mali called 'What Teachers Make.' Although it's not solely focused on motivation/success it contains plenty of heart and passion and it's a great reminder not to lose sight of some important ideals on our way to accomplishing our goals:


Next on the list is a clip from "Facing the Giants." In my mind, this video goes a great length towards helping us to abolish preconceived notions of what is and isn't possible. In addition, I think it reminds us each of us has some wonderful God-given talents. It is our privilege, right and duty, both to ourselves and our fellow man to develop these talents to their utmost. We are more than what we think we are. Associated random movie quotes:

 "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" and "There is no spoon":



The next video (actually the next two) are great ones to watch if you're having an off day. They remind us that failure is a part of the process towards achievement. For every major setback that happened to you in life, I'm betting there's a good chance that a couple of great things happened as a result of the very same circumstance. While watching this video, I was reminded that one reason people don't step up or always perform to their full potential was their fear of failure, which led me to be reminded of this random associated  literary quote (OK, it was a movie too, jeez!) which may come in handy at the time you're facing an unfortunate moment:

 "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.":


Do you know your goals? How committed are you? What steps are you willing to take to accomplish them? What easy short cuts/rest stops are you willing to do without to reach the endpoint? Watch this video and see how you stack up. The NOT so random associated movie quote (this one's a no brainer, Folks):

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!":



Here's another clip along the same vein. Do me a favor though, when the man says, 'forget about sleep, forget about eating,' please don't take this literally (at least all of the time! -  It will hinder your results as an athlete). Please don't let that minor detail detract from the intensity of this message as it is a great one:


There you have it gang - five of the most uplifting videos I've come across in the past couple of years. I sincerely hope that they were worth the time for you to watch them and that they had some magnitude of the impact that they had on me. While were at this, why don't you let me know of some of your favorites? Post them to comments below. That way, all we'll have a nice collection of pick-me-ups on a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment